Duck meat is a high-value niche product in South Africa. Duck farming is part of poultry farming systems. However, there is a huge difference between duck farming and poultry especially in habits and habitats of duck farming in shelter and population.
Ducks can be raised for meat and eggs. In mos parts of the world, duck ranks next to chicken in terms of egg ad meat production. Starting a duck farming business has numerous advantages as mentioned below:
– Ducks need not only less expensive but simple and non-elaborate housing facilities.
– Ducks need less care or management as they are a very hardy bird.
– You’ll get fresh eggs from ducks as they lay eggs either at night or in the morning.
– As ducks grow faster, you need comparatively less space for raising ducks.
– Ducks are highly resistant to the common avian diseases.
– Ducks eat a wide variety of foods than other birds.
– Along with a less mortality rate, ducks have a longer life than chickens.
Duck Breeds for Egg Production:
* Indian runner;
* White and Grayish Indian runner;
* Khaki Campbell.
Duck Breeds for Meat Production:
# Sweden ducks.
Feeding is the main task for getting better fertile eggs in commercial egg production of a duck farming business. According to duck breeders , on your farm, you can provide nutritious feed. And usually, ducks eats large amounts of food and water than other poultry birds. As legume grain feed works very well, the quantity of feed supply depends on breed, bird age, and purpose (egg layers) or meat producers.